Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 14:11:29 EET

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:21:42PM +0100, Matthias Nagorni wrote:

> Steve, I can not agree with any of these three sentences. My experience with
> ams and real analogue synths show that _any_ synth needs named switches.
> Already the first Moog modules had them. And all of my analogue synths
> have some of these selectors. They are as basic and fundamental as
> continuos sliders/potentiometers. If developers have not been aware of
> that at design time, well then it just needs to be fixed now on the basis
> of new insights ;-) So what we need is a HINT_ENUMERATION and a list of
> strings for the item names. Actually LADSPA would then have the complete
> controls I use for ams: continuous sliders, integer sliders, toggles and
> combobox selectors. I think this is the complete set you need.
>
> I think most people agreed that RDF should be optional. But it is not
> optional if any of the above mentioned "canonical" types is missing.
> Open e.g. the TAP reverb in the control center of ams. the preset
> parameter will look quite messed up. Look OTOH how beautiful it looks in
> the combobox selector hack I did yesterday. And we could have that by
> adding just some tiny HINT to LADSPA.
>
> Using RDF for categories is a very good example for an optional extension.
> Having to use it for a control that is standard in any hardware and
> software synth and audio processing gear is IMHO not appropriate.
>
> > You cant describe enumerations as a critical core feature, because we've
> > got along without them for 4 years. I'd agree that its not optimal, but I
>
> That is surprising, but again I'd say not an argument to stick to that
> mistake.

Agreed 100%.

And all it takes is just one hint bit saying that the port is enumerated.
The strings themselves are placed in the portnames array, after all the
portnames, so no new fields are required. The existing range hints will
tell the host how many there are for a port that has the ENUM hint bit set
(i.e. max - min + 1). Perfectly backward compatible, and simple.

--
Fons