Re: This ladspa-rdf stuff works? Was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: This ladspa-rdf stuff works? Was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 21:15:24 EET

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Steve Harris wrote:

> > there is one: it seems consensus that making RDF mandatory for
> > hosts should be avoided.
>
> Absolutly. I think scales and enumerations are not mandatory (Matthias
> disagrees, but I dont see any evidence ot the contrary).

Just as my personal conclusion of that thread:

We do not lose anything if we accept either the proposal by Tim or Fons or
something in between. Both proposals are binary compatible with the
current standard. Plugin-writers and host-developers would still have the
choice to use the extension or to ignore it and use e.g. the RDF extension
instead. And I doubt that new plugin writer get scared by some slightly
extended ladspa.h, at least as long as it keeps to be as well-documented
as it is now. I will now shut up and hope that an extension will be agreed
upon. Once Tom (and hopefully others) follow the new standard, I will
update AMS. And keep in mind: Extending LADSPA does not mean that all
plugins need to be modified. It's only that cases like e.g. the reverb
presets can be fixed in a clean way.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni