Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets (fwd)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets (fwd)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 17:58:00 EET

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 03:26:04 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Fons Adriaensen]
> >On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:56:01PM +0100, Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> >
> >> I think the "dead end" has just been reached...
> >
> >Yes. Steve has made his position very clear: he opposes any change
> >to ladspa.h. Much as I respect Steve for all his contributions to
> >Linux Audio, I think this is misguided and I do not share his
> >opinion on what is 'meta' and what is not (and I sort of enjoyed
> >Tim's posting an this subject).
>
> thanks. i haven't given up on Steve yet. i admit he's stubborn, but
> that simply behooves a good brit. he's also a bright mind, so he'll
> realize sooner or later when he's supporting the wrong ideas.

I'm not opposed to change to ladspa.h, just unnesesary or unwise change
:) As I've said I'b backing mementary and ranomizable, and probably the
NULL buffer thing. Those seem harmless. I'm much less happy about changes
to include enumerations and lantency.

> unfortunately, his support for the ladspa 1.1 default value hack back
> in the day has shown that 'sooner or later' sometimes means 'after the
> milk has been spilled'.

Yes, that and the ill-fated non-realtime extension - it showed me how
easy it is to misjudge to consequences of spec changes.

If you look back through the archives you'l see that my attitude changed
form "yay, more features, cram them in" (luckily rained in by Paul and
Richard) to a more considered attitude.

> (my apologies offered, Steve, for this rude, amateur public attempt at
> understanding your motives.)

Heh, all good fun :)

- Steve