Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 08:25:39 EET

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:39:36AM +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> attached you'll please find three files:
>
> * a patch moving ladspa.h 1.1 to 2.0

Why 2.0? I thought we were aiming for binary compatibility. 1.2 seems more
technically correct and less offputting to developers.

Having thought about it some more I think this way of presenting defaults
is fine, but I'm still not happy with the way latency or units are
specified.

If latency can't be changed programatically then lets not have it in the
struct (few hosts can use it anyway, and they all use RDF), if it can be
changed programatically then it should be a well-known port, as it is now
be convention (but possibly with a different label).

I dont see how any host that is not using metadata can make any use of a
units field, the .h file allready suggests that plugins should provide
lexical forms for the units in the port name: 'This member [PortNames]
indicates an array of null-terminated strings describing ports (e.g.
"Frequency (Hz)").' and I dont think seperating it helps unless youre
working at a non-lexical level, which means external metadata.

You know my feelings on enumerations :)

For symmetry with the existing implementation (and ease of future
extensions) the PortInfo structure should probably be seperate member
fields of the plugin struct. Ranges are a struct, but they are logically
connected and not extensible as they are not explicitly sized.

- Steve