Re: [linux-audio-dev] Possible LADSPA port path convention

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Possible LADSPA port path convention
From: Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 17:41:19 EET

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Steve Harris wrote:

> Something that was suggested for GMPI, and might be applicable for LADSPA
> is a convetion where port names can be written as paths, eg for a delay
> line you might have
>
> "delay/base delay (ms)"
> "delay/feedback (%)"
> "lfo 1/ammount (%)"
> "lfo 1/wave"
> "lfo 1/frequency"
> "lfo 2/ammount (%)"
> "lfo 2/wave"
> "lfo 2/frequency"
>
> this would allow the host to group the controls logically when building
> the UI, eg. tabbing them, and friendlier OSC reflections of plugins.

Steve, you will be surprised, but the grouping information looks like meta
data to me. I would have no objection to place this in the RDF extension.
Recently I got a feature request for ams regarding tabbing of LADSPA
parameters and this would indeed be a useful feature.

> It would require that lexical /'s be escaped, but other than that it
> should be transparent. Its only worth adding if hosts would implement
> something using it though, as it would cause a bit of disruption, there
> are about 30 exisiting ports with /'s in them.

Hosts could check the LADSPA version number.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni
SuSE Linux AG