Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 18:53:08 EET

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:20:42PM +0100, Matthias Nagorni wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
>
> > That can't be. What would a MOMENTARY output port mean?
>
> It would send short trigger signals. I use ports like this in ams modules
> that have a trigger output. And these ports are e.g. connected to a
> "retrigger" port of an envelope or the "reset" port of a LFO.

Why should a host care about knowing this ? It could only important if
the trigger is connected to a GUI element that would be set into some
state by the trigger and remain there until reset by the user.

Unless we start 'typing' all ports, and expect to host to police all
connections, TRIGGER / MOMENTARY is required only for display purposes.

The two ends of a trigger connection are not symmetrical.

> As Tim writes:
>
> "Hint LADSPA_HINT_MOMENTARY indicates that port is intended to be
> connected to a trigger signal emitting both rising and falling edge".

I fail to see what this means. Either something sends out both rising and
falling edges, OR it can send at most one edge during its entire lifetime.

--
FA