Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 10:43:18 EET

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:29:51 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:58:48PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > I dont think that scale markings, / enumerations, defaults and units are
> > logically connected to the same extent that upper and lower bounds are.
> > That is a matter of opinion of course.
>
> Well, for me ENUMs on an integer param that maps to a multiway switch, a set
> of radio buttons or a menu are not 'meta'. Without them you have *no* idea what
> the switch is doing, so they seem IMHO as essential as Min / Max on a slider.
> Same for TRIGGER, the host needs to know this, but then I suspect most triggers
> would never be in a GUI but rather external or from another module.

I think theres some confusion about what the meta- in metadata means, it
doesnt imply "lesser" or optional - it just reflects the level of
abstraction.

> Scale points on a floating point param are an entirely different matter even
> if they could be mapped to a similar data structure - that's a coincidence and
> doesn't mean anything. Separate unit strings are, for me, a luxury. I agree

I disagree: if I have a control thats "wave, INTEGER where 1=sin, 2=tri,
3=sqa, 4=saw" and one which is the same less the INTEGER hint (ie. it
crossfades) then the enumeration points are no less importanti in the
non-INTEGER case.

> that both could be in the RDF only. And other than AUDIO / CONTROL which are
> not compatible at the 'physical' level, I think there should be no port typing
> in LADSPA.

I agree about no port typing.

The MOMENTARY hint is not (should not be) typing though - its just a hint
to let the host build a useful UI. There are use-cases. Ditto for
RANDOMIZABLE.

> As to defaults, the current system is limited, but for me it is sufficient.
> The only thing defaults should be used for is to make sure the plugin start
> in a sensible state. Anything beyond this can become a preset, if required.

I understand where you're coming from here. There are a few cases where
the current system fails (not many, and not seriously, but they are
there).

- Steve