Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 10:08:46 EET

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:49:29 +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On mån, 2004-03-08 at 10:00, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > In LADSPA the host handles MIDI mapping.
>
> Would it be OK if my plugin listened to a named pipe instead of the
> default /dev/midi? If so, then a sequencer could write a midistream to
> the pipe just like any other midi device, and the problem ceases to
> exist.

But it causes a lot more. You need some way to guarantee that the timing
is consistent between plugins and host to make sure that automation
effects are deterministic.

In practice, having the host do the MIDI binding is good, it means you get
a consistent interface across all plugins and makes things a lot simpler.
If your host of choice doesnt support MIDI mapping then petition the
author :)

- Steve