Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension - Formal proposal.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension - Formal proposal.
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 11:38:59 EET

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:48:38PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> this would require some rewording of the LADSPA_HINT_INTEGER paragraph (I
> think this might be an improvement anyway), currently it says:
> "Any bounds set should be slightly wider than the actual integer range
> required to avoid floating point rounding errors. For instance, the
> integer set {0,1,2,3} might be described as [-0.1, 3.1]"

> I think its easier on host to change it to recommend (or require) that
> INTEGER bounds should be integers and plugins should accept values with
> some tollerance, eg. rounding to the nearest integer value, and this would
> be required to make LADSPA_HINT_SWITCHED usable as stated.

I never understood the rationale for the 'slightly wider' requirement.
When writing some of my plugins, I discussed this with Matthias, and we
both arrived at the conclusion that it makes no sense.

- small integers (up to +/- 2^24) are represented exactly in a float,
  so if there is a problem, it does not originate in the interface.

- if a host uses e.g. a slider widget that is so broken that it does
  not even function correctly at the end points (how it would be possible
  to write such a thing except by design escapes me), then that problem
  should be attacked at the host side, not by complicating the interface.

I'm in favour of dropping that 'slightly wider' requirement. I've never
followed it in my own plugins, and never will.

--
FA