Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross platform mixer API?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross platform mixer API?
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 02:53:47 EET

i think its going to be pretty hard to do this. just consider 3
examples that i am slightly aware of:

         a) intel 8x0 style mixer (ac97-ish)
         b) audigy2
         c) hammerfall dsp

take just the incredible simple task of defining which signal source
recording will use. how is it done?

         a) select one of a small number of possible sources
               for capture, and set the gain level
         b) set the gain level of all possible sources to
               zero, except the one desired
         c) concept makes no sense.

the first task in defining a cross-API mixer abstraction is to define
what a "mixer" is and what you can do with it.

--p