Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thread programming issues, hints and links wanted

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thread programming issues, hints and links wanted
From: Arve Knudsen (aknuds-1_AT_broadpark.no)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 23:28:35 EEST

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:18:48 +0200, Cournapeau David <cournape_AT_enst.fr>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Beginning to play with some code in linux plateform for audio, I
> face a major problem: I have a very weak understanding of thread
> programming. I know the basic concepts (thread principle, mutex and
> lock), but fail to use them effectively. I found a lot of links on
> thread programming, but it is just about the API (generally pthread),
> and the examples are really trivial in general. When I looked at the
> archive, I see a lot of terms which I don't really understand, like
> watchdog thread, thread scheduling, and I am lost :(
> So does anybody know a good and deep online ressource about thread
> programming ? Also, my main language is C++, and I looked a bit at boost
> library. It should be kind of a detail, but are there deep differences
> between pthread and boost.threads ?

Boost.Thread will provide you with a cross platform abstraction on top of
native APIs like pthread, its very convenient although you can't adjust
thread priorities. Personally I haven't read much litterature on
threading, but the Boost.Thread examples were of great help for getting to
grips with basics like synchronizing access with mutexes. I think Thread
Time is supposed to be a good book on the subject though.

Cheers

Arve Knudsen