Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lionstracs / Linux Audio at Musikmesse report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lionstracs / Linux Audio at Musikmesse report
From: will_AT_malefactor.org
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 23:44:53 EEST

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 04:08:34AM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> > > I just quickly checked their sites, and there's indeed absolutely no
> > > mention of using Linux. If they're all indeed using Linux, then it's an
> > > obvious breach of the GPL license.
> > >
> > > Marek
> > >

> > IIRC, they only have to provide the sources to people who buy the
> > products.
>
> The GPL explicitly states:
> 'to give _any_ third party ... a complete machine-readable copy of the
> corresponding source code ...'

That's one of three options that the GPL gives you in section 3. It also
says you can accompany "the Program (or a work based on it, under
Section 2) in object code or executable form" with the source. It seems
to me like they could just put a CD with the source code in the box with
their product and be compliant.

> > They aren't obligated to put a "powered by linux" banner on
> > their site,
>
> It all depends on how you want to comply to Section 1, in case you want
> to comply. ;)

Their websites sites aren't "verbatim copies of the Program's source code."