Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Linux, audio and the breach of GPL

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Linux, audio and the breach of GPL
From: Clinton Ebadi (clinton_AT_unknownlamer.org)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 08:51:53 EEST

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 00:45, Michael Ost wrote:
> As I nervously enter the fray... I work for Muse Research. And yes we
> are using Linux. But no we aren't going to tell customers about it in
> any obvious way. Most of them don't care, and would indeed be confused
> by that piece of information.
>
> We have a team with good knowledge of this market (former Opcode,
> Passport, E-Mu), and have a good sense of our potential customers. They
> want it to work well and sound good; most don't care what OS it is
> running.
>
> But we don't make any secret of it: Linux is great and is a great boon
> to our company.
>
> And obviously we will abide by the terms of the licenses of the software
> we are making use of. It frightens me to hear a statement like "obvious
> breach of the GPL license."
>
> Please help me out with this: I thought we just had to make the sources
> available (they will be available on our or via our web site), return
> any changes we make to the developers (we haven't changed much but we
> have contributed back to the Wine project, for instance), and not change
> or remove the copyright notices from the source (which of course we
> won't).
>
> Am I off track? Thanks for any help ... mo

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html . You are a bit off track, the
section on "Common Misunderstandings of the GPL" will get you back on
track. Putting the code on an FTP server is not enough. It is easier to
include the source on a CD with the binaries and also make it possible
for any third party to order the source code CD via mail for the cost of
the disc and postage.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
jabber:clintonathcoopdotnet IRC:unknown_lamer_AT_freenode#hprog