Re: [linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?
From: Richard Bown (richard.bown_AT_ferventsoftware.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 09:10:43 EEST

On Saturday 10 April 2004 01:18, Dave Robillard wrote:

> I agree completely that a straight plain MIDI sequencer is needed. Not so
> sure about the no tempo idea though. Editing MIDI without the concept of
> tempo and/or bars would be a most horrible thing. Ardour sync through some
> means is definitely essential (and the thing that makes the current stable
> version of MusE essentially useless to me). I don't know about "simple",
> except the fact that it's just MIDI. I'd like a feature complete MIDI
> sequencer (in gtk), not one that's sucked down feature-wise.

Well if you can get over your gtk fixation then there's also Rosegarden of
course. Which offers JACK transport and hence "Ardour sync" (sic).

> Writing a multitrack recorder is a duplication of effort - we already have
> one (and I severely doubt anyone is going to be surpassing ardour in
> quality any time soon).
>
> We don't, however, have a just-MIDI sequencer, with all the nice features a
> MIDI sequencer needs (like advanced control editing, etc.) The next
> version of MuSe could be quite good, but it has all that audio stuff
> holding back development, plus it's Qt of course..

Well I don't know quite what to say here..

> (Random thought) A MIDI sequencer where you can draw control curves over
> the tracks (like ardour volume and whatnot) would be very cool.. esp. for
> electronic music (like, say, trance) when the control parameters are as
> important as the notes themselves

Both MusE and Rosegarden support this.

The ideal is that just because MIDI data is simple, writing a MIDI sequencer
is somehow a trivial effort. You'd notice from the lack of contenders to
that crown that it evidently isn't. I'd suggest before anyone attempts to
reinvent the wheel that they fully understand what's trying to be
accomplished elsewhere and join forces.

Anyway, what about BEAST? That's gtkmm or GTK and does MIDI does it not?

It's amazing actually - I take a six month break from LAD after the peak of
those horrendous soft synth "architecture" discussions (whatever that acronym
was) and I find the same old (I'm afraid to say) ill-informed arguments
banging around. It reminds me of the USENET days. Death of the internet
predicted etc.

Do you think, just like the old USENET days, someone should write a LAD FAQ
and post it monthly? I think it'd greatly increase the clue quotient.