Re: [linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 02:33:40 EEST

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:36:21 +0200 (CEST)
Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no> wrote:

> Why on earth use C++? Use a desent high-level non-crippled language like
> lisp, python or ruby.

I'm always curious about language advocacy posts like this. In this instance
I'd be particularly interested to know if you have ever coded a large
application (100,000 loc) in andy of these languages? If you have, I'd
then be curious to know if you had take the given lisp/python/ruby
functionality and ported it to C or C++ to compare the performance,
memory footprint and robustness.

If you haven't done this then I don't you're qualified to make the sort of
suggestions that you made and even if you have and lisp/python/ruby does
seem better (unlikely) then it still doesn't mean that the original poster
would be better off with one of these languages.

I should also point out that I really like Python and use it all the time
for small scipts and tools but I would never dream of using it for anything
large (>10,000 loc) or timing critical.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"He who writes the code gets to choose his license, and nobody
else gets to complain" -- Linus Torvalds