Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet?
From: Anders Torger (torger_AT_ludd.luth.se)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 13:19:46 EEST

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11.11, David Olofson wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 09.47, Anders Torger wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Thus, I think it is necessary to implement something operating on
> > the ethernet level to get best performance in terms of throughput
> > and latency.
>
> Sounds like you'll need something like this:
>
> * A real time operating system
>
> * Decent ethernet hardware (most 100+ Mbit h/w should do)
>
> * A protocol stack with RT streaming support. (Or
> implement your own protocol, using the ethernet h/w
> as high speed serial ports/bus interfaces.
>
> * A distributed hard RT application

I think I can get away without the real-time OS, using just plain
rt-scheduling in vanilla Linux. I do not need extremely low latencies,
I can tolerate quite high I/O delay. The processing block size will be
at least 512 samples (2048 will probably be the normal size), and the
I/O delay through the system is allowed to be more than two blocks, if
I get below 250 ms in the system I outlined I would be satisfied.

What I see as the main problem is acheiving the high throughput without
packet loss, and with a stable latency. But I guess as soon as I start
testing (if I do, it is just a fun idea for the moment) I'll come
across lots of interesting problems. I don't know of anyone that has
tested streaming say 300 uncompressed channels in parallel...

/Anders Torger