Re: [linux-audio-dev] Can software authors make allowances for packagers?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Can software authors make allowances for packagers?
From: Conrad Parker (conrad_AT_metadecks.org)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 02:50:55 EEST

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:11:08PM +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:

> >If a package's configure script doesn't recognize CFLAGS, it is a bug.
> >Report it as such.
>
> The configure scripts do recognise CFLAGS, however the custom CFLAGS either
> replace CFLAGS necessary for the package, or the package uses the same
> flags with different parameters, eg -march and -mcpu flags.

packages using automake should only set AM_CFLAGS, AM_INCLUDES, AM_LDFLAGS
etc. in Makefile.am. Resetting CFLAGS, INCLUDES, LDFLAGS etc. is a bug
(which I've also been guiltly of many times :)

so please report this to the authors, it's trivial to fix and usually
affects packaging, cross-compiling, and other strange environments ...

Conrad.