Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_fst: a JACK client to run VST's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_fst: a JACK client to run VST's
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 05:44:55 EEST

>Our Wine based VST hosting app is doing much better with very recent
>Wine's: we are happy with the April 4th build. Most of the compatibility
>issues are with GUIs.

oh, absolutely. i have yet to find a VST that i can't run if i don't
open the editor. admittedly, i am deliberately only trying free VSTs,
but the contrast is remarkable. and for ardour users: ardour can build
its own GUIs for most VST plugins if you need it to.

>Also if you're using threading, they recommend a not-too-recent 2.3.2
>glibc to help with threading issues. We are using 2.3.2-4.80.8 and it
>looks good so far. Apparently getting threading to work between wine and
>glibc has been tricky.

heh. thats where libfst comes in. we started from the mono hack, which
was known to not support threads. i then managed to apply some rather
deep experience i have had with threading on x86 systems to the
problem. nothing particularly clever, but libfst allows us to take a
thread created outside of wine and get wine to "adopt" it, thus
allowing win32 code to be executed by it. ok, so its pretty clever :)

we are at least 50% optimistic that this part of libfst will make it
into wine at some point in the not too distant future.

i will be talking about this work at ZKM in less than 2 weeks.

--p