[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Does ALSA offer built-in PLUG for JACK and non-interleaved cards?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Does ALSA offer built-in PLUG for JACK and non-interleaved cards?
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 17:18:56 EEST

>Does this mean that now one can channel ALSA-only aware apps directly to JACK

Yes.

>and if so, are there any penalties of doing it this way as oposed to using JAC
>K-aware apps (i.e. Sample-sync?)?

Yes, you lose sample-synchronous guarantees. Also, there *might* be glitches
in the audio output of the ALSA apps using this technique, though its
unlikely to happen more frequently than if they were JACK apps.

>2) Is there also a plug in ALSA that allows for non-interleaved cards (i.e. hd
>sp) to be directly talked to (i.e. using aplay) since by default aplay complai
>ns how the soundcard is not interleaved and hence it fails.

the plughw:N device should take care of this. if not, alsa-devel needs
to know. i can use aplay to play stuff on my hdsp using plughw.

--p