Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers
From: Andrea Glorioso (andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 12:08:28 EEST

> let me clarify the situation. there are a couple of different
> questions regarding this:

> 1. is the firmware binary is a program or a data?

> 2. can we force the h/w vendor to show the source code under GPL
> (if exists) in practice?

> 3. if not, shouldn't we change the license to the
> non-restrictive one? which license would be feasible?

There is also point (4): should the AGNULA project distribute (via the
AGNULA/DeMuDi distribution) binary firmware if we agree that (1) is
true and (2) is false? I mean, how pragmatic should we become?

> so far, alsa-firmware package is released from the understanding
> of 1 as "data". but if someone insists it as program, yes, it
> can be a problem.

And what's worse, the distinction between "program" and "data" can
often become really blurry. And I might be wrong, but my guess is
that if a piece of data is absolutely necessary for a GNU GPL program
to work, then that data should be distributed together with the
program at the same conditions of the GNU GPL (otherwise the GNU GPL
itself could be very easily bypassed).

> sure, the correct distribution under GPL would be the best case,
> i.e. including the source code of the orignal assembly codes (if
> really exists).

> basically, it is a decision of the h/w vendor who provides the
> DSP binary, not by me. if the GPL is really unsuitable (and we
> can judge the firmware as a program 100% absolutely :), we'll
> suggest them to either show the source code or change the
> license ASAP. but i don't expect GPL source codes as a realistic
> solution, although i'll try it of course. remember that they
> are *really* delicate about the firmware code.

The first step I would do is ask the companies that are distributing
firmware under the GNU GPL is a written and signed statement that the
binary code is actually their preferred form to modify the program, as
as such the binary and the source really are the same thing.

bye,

--
Andrea Glorioso                      andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org
AGNULA Technical Manager                 http://www.agnula.org/