Re: [linux-audio-dev] regarding mobos and CPUs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] regarding mobos and CPUs
From: Jody McIntyre (lad_AT_modernduck.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 02:18:12 EEST

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:44:13AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> [...]

AMD CPUs are fine. This has been addressed elsewhere in the thread.
You do need a good motherboard though.

> Also, what's a recommended motherboard ? Are there any mobos that
> should definitely be avoided ?

I would definately avoid the ASUS A7S333, or anything else based on the
SiS745 chipset. It has issues with interrupt routing and I could not
get it to do anything even resembling realtime.

I've had good results with the A7V600-X I replaced it with. The only
downsides to this board are 1. the onboard audio sucks ass (but you
weren't going to use it anyway, right? :) and 2. MIDI requires a dongle -
if you have one from 10 years ago or something, the pinouts should be
the same.

Hope this helps,
Jody