Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out
From: Richard Bown (richard.bown_AT_ferventsoftware.com)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 18:15:46 EEST

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 15:02, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> Then, you have to build a working kernel.

Alfons gave me the inside line on that off-list:

"On SuSE, you need to do a 'make cloneconfig' before the 'make menuconfig'
 and all the rest. This is easily forgotten, usually giving you a kernel
 that doesn't work."

Something I didn't know. However it didn't do the trick quite yet as the resulting
kernel was still borked. I'll try a "make distclean" and start again.

I take the point about capabilities being of no use if you can't run jackd with
realtime anyway. I just guessed that capabilities might allow me to run jackd
with realtime in the first place - I think the main problem I'got is that the card
won't run duplex at a decent, small period size full stop i.e. ALSA can't set period
size to 256 frames for capture. I don't think capabilities, root or whatever will
fix that.

So perhaps I'll just think about getting myself a decent soundcard. Well I've got
that SW1000XG of course but that's opening up a whole other kettle of fish..