Re: [linux-audio-dev] aeolus surround

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aeolus surround
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 00:24:51 EEST

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:39:27AM -0400, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> I assume you meant 4 and 8 respectively. What about 3?

Yes, of course.

> Incidentally, I notice that in 0.1.0 that when you specify values 5-7 it segfaults,
> and 8 causes jackd to hang up entirely on my system.

Shame on me. I corrected that bug while in Karlsruhe, but didn't take
the corrected source back home.

In audio.h, lines 86 and 87, change 4 to 8...
(hides under table)

The 8 channel ouput was added just a few hours before leaving for
the conference, and was never tested with JACK.

-C 3 will be the same as -C 2, and 5,6,7 the same a 4.

> I tried the quad layout last night and it sounded good, how have
> you defined the spatial sense of the surround outputs? Where
> do you place the virtual listener, and are the rear channels providing
> mostly non-direct generated from the reverb? Is more of the direct sound
> in front of the listener? It was hard to tell in my smallish
> room.

ATM, all four divisions are in front, and the rear channels are mostly
reverb. As to the place of the listener, this depends largely on the
setting of the audio controls. Ambisonics encodes direction only, and
distance has to be suggested by early reflections and reverb.
The default setting are sort of a compromise. If you reduce the width
and maybe increase the reverb a bit, you will have a sound as for a
listener that is somewhere in the middle of the church. With much less
reverb, it's more like sitting at the organ console. I plan to add
controls that will enable you to place a division in the back, as is
often the case when sitting at the keyboards, or in one of the sides.

--
Fons