Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal ...
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 13:31:57 EEST

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:29:56 -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> I've been reading up on Steve's N-triples suggestion...
>
> > NTriples is defined in
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntriples
>
> > General RDF stuff is at
> > http://www.w3.org/RDF/
>
> This approach has considerable merit...
>
> (1) It is a W3C standard.
> (2) It is mathematically deep and well thought out.
> (3) It is specifically intended for adding property lists to the web
> (4) The syntax is well-defined
> (5) No large parsing library is needed
> (6) There are tools for converting to XML

And from, more importantly. It can also be converted to from the other human
friendly RDF syntaxes; N3 and Turtle. Infact NTriples is a valid subset of
both those.

For clarity, and backing up what I was saying eariler about syntax and
semantics being inpependent problems, RDF is the semnatics, and RDF/XML,
/NTriples etc. are the syntaxes. ITs not neccesary for people to
understand the semantics to write RDF docuemnts, but it is neccesary for
them to understan the syntax.

An RDF (and most ofther metadata languages) syntax just needs to have a
way of expressing a list of graph edge triples, so you could do
        ('http://foo.com#bar 'http://a.com#b "qux")
if you wanted ;) but why reinvent the wheel?

- Steve