Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 14:07:52 EEST

>I went to ambisonic and read the FAQ. I do not agree with them when they
>say that 2-channel stereo is only good for imaging between the speakers.
>It is possible by using phase differences (and the assumption that
>people are not living in sound-dead laboratories) to project sounds
>outside of the stereo-field.
>
>I did not find anything either to support that 4-channel is superior to
>7-channel ... Maybe I was not looking hard enough ??

if you really want to understand surround, i'd like to pass along a
pointer that jesse chappell gave me: Sound On Sound had a multipart
series on surround a few years ago. its really good, and covers
ambisonics as well as all the current commercial "standards" in some
depth. its not a textbook, but you will walk away, as i did, with a
much deeper understanding.

this will get you started:

  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Aug01/articles/surroundsound1.asp?session=dec5645986353a3e68c8439720360f53