Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch and 2.4.19

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch and 2.4.19
From: Florian Schirmer (florian.schirmer_AT_native-instruments.de)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 10:34:09 EEST

Hi,

> What specific benefits have folks seen by turning on the kernel
> preemption patch in a 2.4.19 kernel?
>
> We found that a nasty system crash was fixed by turning off preemption.
> The crash would happen fairly reliably by switching between virtual
> terminals a number of times. It locked up the system hard. So hard that
> we can't really find the problem in the kernel; we just found a
> work-around basically by trial and error.

Both preempt and ll are known to cause deadlocks on 2.4. If you want a rock
solid system i recommend to go either with vanilla 2.4 or even better 2.6.
There is an interesting thread about scheduling latency going on on
fedora-devel:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-June/msg00031.html

Regards,
   Florian

---

-> Florian Schirmer -> Software Developer -> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH -> florian.schirmer_AT_native-instruments.de -> Schlesische Straße 28 -> http://www.native-instruments.de -> D-10997 Berlin -> Tel. +49-30-61 10 35-453 -> Germany -> Fax +49-30-61 10 35-35 ---- New products:

GUITAR RIG - the complete solution for perfect guitar sound => http://www.ni-guitar-rig.com

XPRESS KEYBOARDS - xpress versions of PRO-53, FM7, and B4 => http://www.ni-xpress-keyboards.com