Re: [linux-audio-dev] timidity++ live

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] timidity++ live
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 03:52:34 EEST

Jens M Andreasen wrote:

>What is the procdure to get timidity++ to work with an OSS raw midi in,live?
>
>mvh // Jens M Andreasen

Hi Jens:

  I assume you want to play TiMidity as a softsynth ? Here's how I set
it up for use with a MIDI sequencer:

    timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -A100 -EFreverb=0 -EFchorus=0

where:

    -iA sets up TiMidity as a sound server
    -B2,8 buffer settings
    -Os output format
    -A100 amplitude percentage
    -EFreverb sets reverb to 0
    -EFchorus sets chorus to 0

The effects settings reduce CPU consumption. Btw, TiMidity will start to
hog the CPU after a while.

It appears as a client in the ALSA patch bay, so I just connect any
available input device to it and I'm wailin'...

Of course, if that isn't what you want to do you can just ignore this
message... :)

Best regards,

dp