Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio 5.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio 5.1
From: Greg Lee (greg_AT_ling.lll.hawaii.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 03:33:49 EEST

matteorox_AT_tin.it wrote:
> i'm trying to create a program to create 6 mono wave files from n mono
> waves files in a virtual room, to re-create dolby 5.1 sound.
> have someone ideas about best algorithm to divide sound among diffusor?
> if someone of you is interesting, pls reply me...thanks

I've just been working on something vaguely related to this. I have
a little program "weave" which combines two stereo wave files to
make a 6 channel wave file, with front left/right from one of the
original files and rear left/right from the other. (At present,
center and lfe are faked.) I wrote it because I found some demo
files on the web with 4 channels in pairs of wave files, and I couldn't
play them with Alsa aplay.

The relation to what you ask about is this. You could use sox, say,
to process copies a file to add different reverberations, or whatever,
then weave them together to make a 5.1 file.

The program, and a 6 channel playing utility, are based on example
programs from the libsndfile distribution. They're here:

ftp://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/pub/greg/surround-utils-0.0.1.tar.gz

and I included a README with references to the demo files you
can weave together.

Greg