[linux-audio-dev] JACK/ALSA cannot set capture period lower than 512 with SBLive

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] JACK/ALSA cannot set capture period lower than 512 with SBLive
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 00:02:24 EEST

Hey,

It seems to be a known issue that you cannot run JACK with the capture
period size lower than 512 with the SBLive ALSA driver. See this
thread:

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2003-December/003764.html

and this:

http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2003-April/004040.html

The above threads seem to indicate that this is a hardware limitation.
However it seems to me more like a driver issue. Using the kX drivers
(on Windows, http://www.kxproject.com) with the exact same card, an old
SBLive Platinum, Ableton Live is usable with the record and playback
period sizes (set via ASIO driver config) at 64 samples (2.33 ms
latency) with nothing else running, and rock solid at 128 (~5 ms) in the
face of basically anything you throw at it. Of course it crashes, as
it's Windows, using an alpha quality third-party driver, but is quite
usable in a live music setting. 512x2 is not really usable for my
purposes.

Is this assessment correct, and if so, can someone familiar with the
SBLive ALSA driver give me an idea as to how this could be fixed? Could
this be done via ALSA config files maybe?

Lee