Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 16:32:18 EEST

michael tewner wrote:

>I posted here a bit ago about implementing gibson's MaGiC protocol on
>linux as a final university project.
>
>Anyway, I was looking for other possibilities. The project can be fun and
>all, but has to have some acedemic value (being able to "publish" is a big
>plus). Perhaps working on that Juno9 VST?
>
>I don't have *too* much programming experience, but I learn fast. Any
>ideas for a interesting program is greatly appreciated.
>
>...Perhaps, it'll make a good list to post online for people that wanna
>help out linux audio support but don't know what's needed/wanted.

What I'd really like to see:

    a varispeed CD player with sectional looping capability (a huge help
for learning difficult passages)
    a true OpenGL realtime waterfall spectral display a la Alan Peever's
Spectrogram
    a MIDI patch bay with extreme features (MIDI data filtering,
rechannelization, event mapping, etc)
    a small-scale MIDI-only sequencer wth step-entry capability

The beginnings to some of these things are already available, so you'd
have a leg up on getting started.

Let me know if you need other suggestions. ;)

Best,

dp