Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 20:53:43 EEST

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> Theres two seperate points there:
>
> "...that usability has nothing to do with nice looks"
>
> Hmm, maybe, depends how you define 'nice'. nice != photorealsitic in my
> book. I think ableton live is 'nice', and it has a very useable UI - an
> equivlanet built with stock GTK/Qt slider widgets would be nowhere near as
> usable, IMHO.

Okay, "nice" was much too general. But I'm glad you brought Live up.
Live is actually a really usable and innovative GUI, because it does
*not* try to model hardware at all. This is a GUI that obviously was
intended and designed to be used on the screen of a computer. Ableton
did a great job here, but they were also taking quite a risk with
doing so. When Live wasn't as widely know as it is now, "business"
people were telling Ableton: "You'll never sell that. It looks too
flat."

What I meant with "nice" is more in the vein of this here:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/img/closeup/redrum/closeup-redrum450.jpg

I mean, it looks like a nice piece of hardware, but what good is that
on screen. You don't even know which button is more important that
others. And why are there srews? And Reason gets especially terrible
if you look at the moving cables on the back. Ah well, I could go on
for hours on how terrible I think this is... ;)

Ciao