Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 22:03:10 EEST

On Tuesday 08 Jun 2004 7:16 pm, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net hat gesagt: // eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net
wrote:
> > Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh - knobs. One of my pet peeves.
>
> I actually wrote a knob GUI element for Pd, which normally only has
> sliders. I see one good application for knobs: Visualizing things
> that must not take up much screen space.

They also have the advantage of a more obvious centre position than a
slider, I believe they can be significantly quicker to read, although
not to edit, and they can be placed in meaningful groups more easily.
I think they're a much better GUI element than people give them
credit for.

The problem is knowing when to use them. Rosegarden uses knobs for
all LADSPA port controls, and the results are not very satisfactory.
Jack-rack uses sliders for all LADSPA port controls, and IMHO the
results there are not satisfactory either, although they are
generally better. The ideal would be a mixture but I don't think the
host can reliably tell which should be which. I imagine the real
value of a custom GUI is in contextual and organisational details
like that. (Although I do think flashy graphics can be nice too.)

Chris