Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?
From: Greg Lee (greg_AT_ling.lll.hawaii.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 03:28:51 EEST

iain duncan wrote:

>> Well, since SOMEONE has to pipe up and say Pd can do it, might as well
>> be me. :)
>>
>> Pd with GEM is pretty cool as far as visualization goes. Far better
>> than anything I've ever seen or heard of actually, because you can
>> visualize MIDI any way you want, which has waaay more potential than
>> visualizing a boring old waveform (digital audio)
>

> I'd say the opposite is true. Midi is lame for visualizing a continuous
> data stream, say for example mapping frequency content or amplitude to a
> continuous visualization. While midi is easy to work with with, 7-bit cc
> values are pretty coarse. The trick to making the waveform visualiztion
> interesting is to allow the user to break up the composite waveform into
> user defined frequency bins so you can ride the amplitude of specific
> frequency areas.
>
> Iain

But you have lots of continuous controllers, is it 31?, and they control
16 channels seperately, and on each channel you have identifiable
intruments playing at different times. This is a much richer stream
of musically relevant information to display than just what you can
derive from the output signal.

Greg