Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: torbenh_AT_gmx.de
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 10:02:59 EEST

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:51:19PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 14:12, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Marek Peteraj hat gesagt: // Marek Peteraj wrote:
> >
> > > Second thing is that the way you percieve them shouldn't change as you
> > > switch applications. Which is what VST perfectly fulfills - it provides
> > > its own UI.
> >
> > True somehow but then also not: If I don't like a UI I'd like to be
> > able to change it. That's something valueable that VST doesn't allow
> > you to do - or makes it harder.
>
> VST certainly does allow this. When using VST plugins in Ableton Live,
> the default interface is Live's widgets, but then you click on the
> wrench (or whatever its supposed to be) and it opens up the VST plugin's
> native GUI. I am not sure how hard this was for them to do of course,
> but it works, brilliantly. This is really the only way to go, provide a
> default but allow it to be overridden.

if i try out a new VST plug i open its GUI. with the GUI i get a nice
and compact look of all its controls.
If i want to use the plugin i resort to rebuilding the GUI with galan
controls (they have better functionality).

its all there and its your choice.
but there are of course several vst plugins, where you need the GUI,
because the controls cant be mapped to knobs or sliders.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language