Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] affordance? (was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] affordance? (was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 00:29:08 EEST

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:16:58 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> > I have to disagree with this - it may not be a german word, but it
> > certainly is an English one - its been in consistant use in scientific
> > literature for ~30 years.
>
> And iff has been in constant use in mathematics for over 40 years and
> shows up in mathematics textbooks and papers but it's still not a
> recognized English word. It's not in Webster's Unabridged (although
> FUBAR is ;-).

Iff is in the OED: "A written form of abbreviation of the phrase `if
and only if', always read as `if and only if', used in Math. and Logic to
introduce a condition that is necessary as well as sufficient, or a
statement that is implied by and implies the preceding one."

First recorded use is in 1955, J. L. KELLEY Gen. Topology vii. 232 F is
equicontinuous at x iff there is a neighborhood of x whose image under
every member of F is small.

So maybe affordance will go in, in 20 years time :)

- Steve