Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 03:41:10 EEST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 20:54, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Moreover, i think that opensource has become more than just hacking
> around with friends over the years.
>
> I think that there's a real chance to make this a better world. Which
> can sound as cliche, but at least it would legalize the software in the
> whole world in a few years time. Not to mention free as in beer for
> those who can't afford to pay for sw at all.

I couldn't agree more. The freedom is why I'm here. However this noble
goal you've outlined doesn't get completed by people walking around
telling people about stuff. It gets completed by people who "shut up
and code".

Every hacker who wastes his/her time gabbing about software instead of
actually getting something done holds back your elusive dream.

If you can't code, and can't help out in more concrete ways (testing and
documentation etc.), but still want to help, by all means go out there
and promote, organize, help out in other ways, that's great. But don't
expect developers to give a crap. It's a good thing they don't or
nothing would actually get coded at all.

If John Q. Hacker cared about PR, he wouldn't be that much of a hacker
would he? :)

Heck, I write programs I don't even release because I'm too lazy (ie
this: http://chat.carleton.ca/~drobilla/patchbay.png).. PR isn't even on
the radar screen.

-DR-