Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: torbenh_AT_gmx.de
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 13:07:15 EEST

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:35:38PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 11:04, Pelle Nilsson wrote:
> > Marek Peteraj <marpet_AT_naex.sk> writes:

> > > Second thing is that the way you percieve them shouldn't change as you
> > > switch applications. Which is what VST perfectly fulfills - it provides
> > > its own UI.
> >
> > If I have 100 LADSPA plug-ins installed and 3 LADSPA hosts, I'd rather
> > spend my time learning the guis of the 3 host-applications than
> > learning the different guis of 100 plug-ins. That a plug-in then has
> > three different interfaces depending on in which application I use it
> > isn't a problem.
>
> Well, no. As hosts only provide a slider for each parameter, there is
> absolutely no layout, controls aren't organised in a logical way. No
> visual clues - except a slider. All the parameters in all existing
> ladspa plugins can be (and usually are) fundamentally different, but
> you're only providing - a slider.(or a knob?) So you end up with 3x100.
> Look at the tape delay ladspa plugin for instance.

thats why the galan library needs to be extended :)
you can build custom UIs for all LADSPAs....

http://galan.sourceforge.net/eq-shot.png

if the gfx is not painted by me it looks like:

http://galan.sourceforge.net/anti-aliased-knobs.png

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language