Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux use (was [OT] marketing hype)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux use (was [OT] marketing hype)
From: Tim Orford (tim_AT_orford.org)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 14:21:05 EEST

Thank you, i really appreciate your comments. Very useful, for me at
least.

My purpose in pursuing this subjuct is as a (wanabe) developer, and
therefore my comments concentrate on how this setup can be improved, so
pls view in that light - no criticism intented:-)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:00:46PM +0000, vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
> Jack is one of the key points. (with alsa sequencer but midi loopback is not
> unique, the mac has had that for ages)

agreed

> Workspaces and keyboard control in the window manager is another.

agreed, but outside of this discussion, i think.

> [...] It was so nice to edit the
> score in rosegarden (which has pretty nice score entry) send it as midi to
> fluidsynth and hydrogen and record it into ardour which has the best
> editing/mixing facilities.

i guess this is a fairly typical LAD setup...

> I can quickly make a special special-effect in csound and run parts of a
> session through that, never having to quit this, start that, make batches so
> etc.

maybe i should check out csound?

> So unless you are willing to stick with one mega-application (logic or
> cubase), and I have never been able to, linux is more productive in this
> way.

the major weakness in this setup for me is the neccesity to render the
midi before mixing. At least that means all elements of the arrangement
can be visualised and edited in one place, but re-editing the rendered
parts is problematic. Even aside from the fact that it is not possible
to add tools to assist in organising parts so that the rendering
pipeline (including multiple audio->audio bounces etc) can be viewed or
stepped through in a History like fashion, global edits in Ardour would
not be reflected in Rosegarden, making rerendering potentially very
time consuming. There are many cases where last minute fine changes to midi
parameters are a much more effective than audio processing.

Even if you run the synths output live through Ardour, you are then
left with pieces of the arrangement in separate places, making fine-tuning
of that arrangement much more difficult than it should be; you cannot see
properly and many operations have to be done twice.

i wonder if this is a concern to anyone else?

Despite your comment about the 'mega-application', both Rosegarden and
Ardour aim to be such things, but dont, at the current time, appear to
do anything that the 2 apps you mentioned cant.

> The other thing that makes linux more productive for me is the windowmanager I
> am using: ion, a tabbed/tiled window manager which I would like to promote
> here as one of the most productivity enhancing piece of software I know.

i am another Ion fan:-)

> But I am not your average user probably, I code sometimes as a hobby and I
> like looking at the internals.

me too, but i'm currently very motivated to code, _if_ i could find
something to work on.

once again, very much appreciate your comments!

cheers

--
Tim Orford