[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux use (was [OT] marketing hype)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linux use (was [OT] marketing hype)
From: gml_AT_xs4all.nl
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 15:20:57 EEST

> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:21:05 +0200
> From: Tim Orford <tim_AT_orford.org>
>
> the major weakness in this setup for me is the neccesity to render the
> midi before mixing. At least that means all elements of the arrangement
> can be visualised and edited in one place, but re-editing the rendered
> parts is problematic.
....snip
> i wonder if this is a concern to anyone else?

I see your point. The difference is that I only use MIDI instruments for
certain specific things, where I write the parts on the piano and/or paper
enter them in the computer and make a few small edits. But with a specific
instrument that I like and don't have to tweak. Whereas the effects and
mixes and montages I all do with raw audio. So I never missed the kind of
global sessioning because I don't use MIDI that way.

> Despite your comment about the 'mega-application', both Rosegarden and
> Ardour aim to be such things, but dont, at the current time, appear to
> do anything that the 2 apps you mentioned cant.

besides interconnecting with about all other linux audio apps.
Which was my point. I have nothing against applications that can do a lot,
but I don't like applications that are islands.

cheers
Gerard