Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 17:59:08 EEST

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 11:17, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Suppose we have say 6 different applications (DAW, drummachine, sampler,
> you name it)that perfecly compete with proprietary world. Does *that*
> take the freedom of choice?
> Does encouraging of toolkits(we've got two major ones) take your
> freedom? Did jack take your freedom to make your own audio server?
> No.
> Why?
> Two words - *Open* *Source*

> The only thing that's going to happen is that *most* users will use
> those 6 applications in a (what people tend to call here) dumb
> environment. And those users haven't even arrived here yet. Because they
> are the *real* non-technical users.
>
> The rest can fiddle around with configurations and code as much as they
> can. Not(!) so in win32 and to some extent also on mac.
> Can you tweak evolution code-wise? sure you can. Can you just go ahead
> with your own client? sure you can. Can you pick your favorite toolkit
> or make your own? Sure you can.
>
> But why do i have to install 280+ toolkits in order to use linux audio?

.. Uh, you have to install 280+ (ahem) toolkits because of that
"freedom" that you just mentioned... you seem to think it's a good
thing until it inconveniences you a little bit.

And you don't HAVE to install 280+ toolkits. Pick one and use that.
I've been running GNU/Linux for 6 years or so now and I installed qt for
the first time 3 months ago (because of audio apps, incidentally)

Noone's standing with a gun to your head saying "YOU MUST INSTALL THIS
TOOLKIT AND USE THIS SOFTWARE!!!"

-DR-