Re: [linux-audio-dev] Terminology / sampler architecture

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Terminology / sampler architecture
From: Thorsten Wilms (t_w__AT_freenet.de)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 21:30:52 EEST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:53:54PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Ah, okay. It seems you look at it from a hardware model. As I never
> used electronic sound hardware this is often hard to follow for me.
> (ALthough now my standard rant on software designed after hardware
> could follow... ;)

Glad you left that out, since I could write it myself ;)

The model was developed on specialized hardware, but for me
the hardware model is not the point, but solely the benefits
of a fixed architecture: easy to understand, fast to handle.
I'm all for the flexibility of modular systems, but often enough
I want rather common sounds, that can be achieved with fixed
systems much faster, without the danger of getting lost in
buidling up complicated structures.

> Okay, to me a sampler is much more general: It's something which plays
> back recorded sounds. Note and velocityi, filters and all this don't
> belong to the sampler in my model - they are just one way to use a
> sampler there, whereas there could be hundreds of others, the most
> widely known of it probably are DJ-scratching and sample arranging in
> Ardour.

Clearly the modular system definition of sampler, and it's more
to the point.

---
Thorsten Wilms