Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project Ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project Ideas
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 19:23:39 EEST

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:03:03 +0300, michael tewner wrote:
> OK.
>
> I have permission to get one of these programs moving with some
> constraints (appended). WHich do you guys think would be most useful
> (publishable :-) )?
>
> 1. The OpenGL Spectrogram implemented into Steve Harris's meterbridge
>
> 2. A 31-BAND (or more?) graphic EQ

2 seems a bit redundant, as we allready have several, though obviously I'm
biased in favour of 1 :)

> 1- This should be run on any platform including PC platform.
> <Yeah, right. Perhaps I"ll just implement the code, and wrap it with JACK
> and WIN-API with preprocessor commands....Grrr...>

That will be hard. Though you could just make the DSP+UI code generic and
include it into a seperate windows app.

the GUI parts of meterbridge are SDL (trivially portable to windows) and
OpenGL (natch) - picked at runtime.

> 3- The FFT algorithm should be run in parallel and optimize at least for
> two platforms.
> <I guess once we're splitting up the spectrum, this shouldn't be a
> problem...BTW,the advisor teaches an MPI course. This idea probably came
> from this...I'm not sure what he means by "2 platforms.">

Ergh! I think you'd want to make it build against FFTW3 to preserve the
sanity/CPUs of all involved, but obviously this is a project and having a
fallback FFT routine certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'd start with FFTW anyway, debugging FFT routines its not a whole lot of
fun.

> 4- We can use a Wavelet Transformation inside of FFT and to parallize it.
> <*shrug* I'm gonna hafta do some research. wikipedia says it's like a FFT
> running in O(N) instead of O(N log N):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelet_transform

> This project is starting to look big and clunky:
> 1. Implementing both windows and linux
> 2. Parrellizing the code? I don't mind writing multithreaded or MPI... it
> just looks like overkill....

He may not mean multithreaded, could mean parallel FFT and wavelet in the
mathematical sense.

> 3. Can JACK compile on IRIX? That's his OS of choice (Being his only *nix
> experience...) and, well, SGI's are fun! Perhaps I can convince him to put
> linux on his old O2.

Given how hard it was to port to OSX I doubt its easy.

> ...I'de just hate to kill Steve's code, though.

Heh, my code fights back, and theres always CVS ;)

- Steve