Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] New releases of Aeolus and Jaaa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] New releases of Aeolus and Jaaa
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 12:55:55 EEST

Hello Albert,

> 1. I can't seem to get the ALSA output working. (ALSA MIDI input and
> Jack output works ok.) When I try to start aeolus with -A, I get:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_mmap.c:362:(snd_pcm_mmap) shmget failed: No space left on
> device
> Alsa_driver: can't set hardware parameters.
> Alsa_driver: can't set playback hardware parameters.
> Can't connect to ALSA
>
> Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong there? Do I have to enable
> some kind of shared mem extension in ALSA? I am using Aeolus 0.2.0 on
> SuSE 9.0 with the included Alsa 0.9.6, the soundcard is an sblive.

This is very strange:

- I have the same SL 9.0 and ALSA version (but other soundcards)
- The ALSA code is a near copy of the ALSA code in JACK, in
  both cases memory mapped access is used.

I can only hope one of the ALSA wizards on the list can find out
what's wrong. The first error line should explain all, the others
are just the consequences.
You could try a shorter period size (512 or 256).

> 2. I noticed that you have put up some recordings on the aeolus website.
> Are the original midi files by Matthias Nagorni also available somewhere?

I'm sure Matthias will be prepared to make them available: mana_AT_suse.de

> 3. Besides Werckmeister III there's another "well temperament" in the
> tuning config. Which one is that?

IIRC, it's by Jacob Breetvelt. I took it from the Scala database.
You can find the definition in scales.cc.

> 4. Are the temperaments configurable somewhere?

No, ATM the four that are built-in are all you have. It's a quick
solution but it should cover most periods. I plan to add direct support
for the Scala database at some time. If changing the temparament is
important to you, just let me know, and I'll change some priorities...
(and if it's very urgent, you could edit scales.cc :-)

> Do you have any plans to support the MIDI tuning standard?

If there's a demand for it, probably yes.

--
Fons