[linux-audio-dev] Re: Draft position statement of AGNULA on ALSA firmware

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Draft position statement of AGNULA on ALSA firmware
From: Georg C. F. Greve (greve_AT_gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 13:51:36 EEST

Dear Andrea,

I've been thinking about this a little more and think there is a
fundamental problem with the reasoning by denominating firmware as
software and making an exception for it.

Making such an exception would not only violate the AGNULA trademark
license, it would also open the door to all kinds of proprietary
exceptions within Free Software projects for the future.

As we all know, on the level we are talking about the distinction
between software and hardware blurs -- and many people have made good
points on how firmware can be considered data that is part of the
hardware.

Alessandro wrote a well-argued piece on the position of the FSFE about
this issue, which should be taken as the fundament for the statement,
I think.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                       <greve_AT_gnu.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 (http://fsfeurope.org)