Re: [linux-audio-dev] Spinboxes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Spinboxes
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_gazuga.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 08:53:55 EEST

At Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:16:54 +0200,
Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> The usual spinboxes with their tiny up/down arrow buttons made me
> think about an alternative. Since using more height than a
> textfield has would make layout very troublesome, my solution is
> placing the buttons horizontaly.

I think you are *really* on to something here.

> I think the variations with arrows are less pleasant to look
> at. Using - and + also avoids confusion with option menus. But I
> would like to hear everyone's opinion on that.

I prefer -/+ myself, it seems easier to assess at a glance.

> I don't know if showing the value as bar in the background is a good
> idea in the end, because it might be confusing (?)

Perhaps hiding the numbers, and only showing them if the user mouses
over the texbox or clicks on it?

I definitely think these are a major improvement over spinbuttons as
far as audio apps are concerned. My only question is if they're
superior to traditional knobs/sliders. I think the only way to tell
would be to implement and compare.

-Pete