Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design (radial movement)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design (radial movement)
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 22:48:20 EEST

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 07:09, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 19:29, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> > Besides, we were talking about widgets. When even single
> > widgets would require to RTFM, what would that mean
> > for a full app?
>
> I think there is a danger here of being too conservative - something I
> think existing commercial software does (in a sense it has to). We have
> to opportunity to try out new ideas that may indeed confuse a user used
> to current interface standards - but as long as there is a clear logic
> to whats going on it should be a rapid learning curve.

Equally dangerous would be reinventing the wheel. There are commercial
apps out there with brilliant interfaces and near-perfect usability. I
think anyone doing interface design for Linux audio should sample the
best of what the commercial software world has to offer before just
assuming it's all shite.

Personally I think anyone designing an interface for anything should be
required to try Ableton Live. Halion is another one I see mentioned, I
have not tried it though.

Lee