Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design + some OT stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design + some OT stuff
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 01:37:19 EEST

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 18:22, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Going back to our original point: if a user is too lazy to read
> a manual, I can't be bothered with his problem. And if someone
> proclaims that aversion to reading documentation is 'normal', I
> will disagree, and now you all know why.

        Once again, I've been writing graphical editing software for use by
scientists for 26 years. I have Mensa members that don't want to read a
manual. Why? Because they're scientists. They want a tool to do
something with and the tool shouldn't be hard to understand. This is
the same situation that you're going to get with musicians. They want a
tool to make music with and it needs to be fairly easy to work with.
Granted, something like Ardour will be difficult to master but you
should at least be able to use it at a rudimentary level without having
to read the manual (since there isn't one at present this had better be
the case ;-) When you get farther into it you may need to delve into
whatever documentation is available. Aversion to reading documentation
*is* "normal", at least among most scientists and musicians that I
know. Hence the common phrase - "When all else fails, read the
documentation".

Jan