Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design + some OT stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design + some OT stuff
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 06:48:13 EEST

Pete Bessman wrote:

     [ ... ]

Fons is an intelligent human being, and even if he is being somewhat
more "elitist" than some may consider necessary, there is nothing
gained by berating his viewpoint with sarcasm.

>That's a straw man. The original point was something to the effect of
>"a volume knob which can only be operated after studying a manual is
>an indication that the UI designer is a failure,"

That's a straw man too. Fons' point that you appear to disagree with
is "a (volume) knob may indeed have some functionality that is not
easily discoverable by playing with it". I personally am undecided
about the merits of such a design - i don't like knobs much at all for
any purpose - but it would aid the discussion if it could stay focused
on the contents rather than the moral elevation (or otherwise) of the
participants.

--p