Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 06:31:18 EEST

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 17:17, Lee Revell wrote:

> There is an overwhelming consensus amongst Linux audio
> folks that you should use reiserfs for low latency work.

I doubt the "overwhelming consensus" part. ReiserFS is good at
creating/deleting lots of small files and that's not a typical scenario
when doing audio work.
For audio stuff the FS does not seem to matter much. However, when
working with large files (there are audio apps that create large project
files sometimes, especially when working in 96/24 mode and that kind of
stuff) i've seen better results with XFS.

When files get really big (think: video capture) there's no doubt XFS is
best. I've had a video capture app skipping frames no matter what, on
Ext3 and ReiserFS. Switch to XFS, the result: no more frame skipping.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/