[linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 02:49:26 EEST

While locking a RT process to a CPU to achieve even lower latencies
might be useful to some
the general userbase wants good latencies on simple UP, non HT-enabled
hardware too.
(AMD is gaining marketshare and we cannot simply expect that good
multimedia performance (aka low latency)
can be achieved only on those SMP/HT boxes where the truth is that
except in the case of really crappy hardware,
those common UP machines are actually capable to delives latencies in
the range of dozen of usecs.
(taking the RTLinux benchmarks as reference).
Of course Linux != RTLinux and we never expect nor pretend Linux to
match the response time of RTLinux but
as said earlier latencies at around 1msec should are doable on decent UP
boxes and this is more than
adequate to run demanding real time audio applications like software
synthesizers, samples, real time effects etc.
The only hope is that the hard work from Ingo, Andrew and all the others
gets soon integrated in the mainstream
2.6 kernel so all Linux users can take run demanding multimedia
applications out of the box without going through
the painful patching,kernel recompiling etc.
Or is this still not realistic at this point ?
 (see the old issue with kernel 2.4, low latency patches were too
unclean to make it into the
ufficial kernel tree).

Plus what's very important is that every kernel developer and driver
developer (even thirdparty, especially those
that do closed source stuff like Nvidia etc) takes into account the
latency problems that code paths that run for
too long time (or disable IRQs for too long etc) might create.
While I'm not a kernel expert I assume the premptible kernel alleviates
this problem but I guess it still cannot
completely get rid of low latency-unfriendly routines and drivers.
Perhaps in upcoming Linux kernel/driver programming books this issue
should be stressed out and
mentioned prominently in order to avoid the eternal:
fixing latencies in kernel x.y.z -> new kernel versions with new
drivers/changes/enhancements comes out
-> latencies are bad again -> fix latencies in this new kernel version
..... ( iterate at infinitum)

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org